Bringing the UK's Premier AX Club Together

User avatar
Paid Member
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:28 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: how much is too much?

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:52 pm ... k/overview

Well you need store the car you want to import in a garage or non public space after getting home.

You need transit plates if you drive back as these are insured and look like this if you have picked up your car in France.


To be on the Safe side get some trade plates after your car is back in the UK. I mean from the Ferry onwards.

NN-JS-37 AX spot 1.1 plaisir skirts 1996

RV-37-HT AX 10E 1987

HH-GR-65 AX 1.0L Escapade '94

NN-NG-54 AX 1.1L Spot '96

Never Ending AX project:
User avatar
Paid Member
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:17 pm
Location: Fareham, Hants

Re: how much is too much?

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:08 pm

[quote=your link]Temporary Imports

It is possible to import your vehicle temporarily and drive with your home registration plate. This is more applicable to expats from the European Union who are living in the UK for under six months. This can be for a single visit or for periods of up to six months in length. The vehicle still has to be registered and taxed in its original country. If an expat becomes a UK resident then the vehicle must be registered and taxed in the United Kingdom immediately.[/quote]

The DVLA link doesn't mention transit plates, but it does mention this:

You can be prosecuted if you use your vehicle on a public road before you complete these steps, unless you’re driving it to a pre-booked MOT or vehicle approval test.

The transit plates don't apply in the UK, and he's not temporarily importing it. If you get a car imported from Europe, and you're a UK resident, you're not allowed to drive it on the foreign plates, legally speaking. Whether you'd get caught or not and whether you'd chance it is neither here nor there. I know this, because I've just imported a car from Europe!

If I was a Frenchman, living in the UK for 4 months for work or something, and brought my car over with me, I would use the transit plates. If I'm here more than six, I can't do it on a temporary basis. If I move to the UK permanently, then I'd have to register the car in the UK straight away.

If you're a UK citizen, and you drive a car in the UK that is registered overseas and with foreign plates etc, then you're breaking the law. That's all there is to it, whether you do it for a year, or whether you're driving back from Dover on the day you collected it. The only mitigating circumstance would be if you insured it on the VIN and booked it in for an MoT. That being the case, you could drive it to the test on the foreign plates.
'90 AX GT 3dr White
'83 BX 16TRS Red
'90 BX 16v Red
'99 Saxo VTR 16v Silver
'73 Hillman Imp - VTR power!
'89 TVR S1
'06 Ford S-Max 2.5T
'07 Peugeot 407SW

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests