Bringing the UK's Premier AX Club Together

WukaChop
Paid Member
Topic Author

Hello!

Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:14 am

Hi all, new AX owner here with a slightly interesting story as to how I got it...

Basically, I've had a couple of 106's, (still got a blue 1.1 in my garage with a VTR engine to go in it) so some people who are on 106owners my recognise my username.
Anyway back to the story...
I blew up the 1.1 at Santa Pod (Head gasket failed, managed a 19 second quarter mile mind!), as I had another 106 1.5D I was planning to put on the road anyway, I did that, which lasted me well right up until last Sunday, when driving down the M6, I blew a big hole out the back of the block and managed to rustproof it forever:

So, as an act of kindness, a few people I know (and some I don't!) surprised me by pooling some money together and bringing this to my house:

Couldn't have asked for a better surprise! I've wanted an AX for years, and I've got one finally!
Which begs a question, I have a VTR engine destined for a 106 in my garage, or should I put it in this? It's a 1.0 4 speed, and it's surprisingly nippy considering! Things I may do include a 4 stud conversion, as I have spare VTR struts, 106 GTI brakes, a set of alloys and a VTR disk beam spare too, needs raising though, as the previous owner removed all the torsion bar bolts for some pikey lowering...
For now I just need to get the basics sorted for its MOT in February, like the rust holes on the inner wings, and it needs a service, but all in all, I'm rather happy with this little car!

PS, for people that ask, the bar on the front is so the car could be A-Framed everywhere, I may remove this and sell it on ebay for extra cash!

Knite
Paid Member

Re: Hello!

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:08 am

sounds like you had a right result :D If it was me id definatly chuck the vtr engine in.

Welcome to the club pal :D ill look forward to seeing progress :D

Jamie D
Paid Member

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:52 am

Welcome dude, you haven't been having much luck with your cars have you. :lol:

I seen this on the bay not so long ago, Debut sunroof less model so a good base to start on a track car if that's what you have in mind for it?

I would go 4 stud for sure, sell the VTR engine and buy a VTS/106GTI lump you can pick a full conversion kit up for around £300 - £400 you will only be happy with the VTR power for so long, the VTS are a better engine and if you get bored of the power more can be obtained through mods with less cost to BHP ratio than the VTR engines.

I would sell the A frame, although it could come in handy with the luck you are having with cars. :lol:

ghaz
Paid Member

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 am

This the one that was on ebay being used as a tow car for a campervan?

Jamie D
Paid Member

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:11 am

ghaz wrote:
This the one that was on ebay being used as a tow car for a campervan?

Indeed. :)

ghaz
Paid Member

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Was interested in that one myself before a more local one came up, looked to be a good un from what I remember of the advert :D

WukaChop
Paid Member
Topic Author

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:12 am

It'll become 4 stud for sure, just as I have so many spare wheels lying around, this has recently had new tyres all round mind so it'll stay 3 stud for now...

The VTR engine is still going in the 106 now, I'll get a VTS engine for this eventually, along with a 5 speed gearbox from a 106 1.1. I wasn't intending to go track car, more very very fast daily drive, I had a stripped Saxo with a VTR engine in for a whole 27 hours before I snapped the driveshaft, I don't have much luck with cars!

Speaking of driveshafts, this one needs a new one on the passenger side, it's a bit noisy. Nothing too hard, I have spares.

It's not too bad! There's a bit of rust on the inner wings and a hole in the boot floor but my mate's a welder thankfully!
But it does do a Birmingham - Stafford run 4 times a week and it's totally faultless, I've put just under 1000 miles on it in a week and it hasn't skipped a beat yet!

leegt
Paid Member

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:50 pm

Welcome to the club. Get it sorted and we'll see you at next meet

RallyeAX
Paid Member

Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:10 am

What's the mileage on the ax?
Is it carb or injection?

Keep it a wee 1.0

Issue with the disc beam is arch cutting to get wheels to fit
Jonathan, part of the:
.....AXOC motorsport division.....
AX Cascade 16V, AX Debut Rallye (in the making!)

WukaChop
Paid Member
Topic Author

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:27 am

It's 109k now, was 107k when I got it, it's injection and has a cat, it predates the requirements for both though... I do want to keep it a 1.0 in a way, and I did hear about that being an issue, I was thinking of taking the known good drum beam off my other 106 to make it 4 stud and then use my Saxo struts at the front paired with the spare GTI brakes I have, I know it's overkill for a 1.0 but they're just sitting around going rusty, may as well get some use!

I did a disk conversion on my blue 106, decided to rebuild and fit the beam in a day, due to lack of correct tools and the beam being stuck fast, it took me and my friend 10 hours in total, including the trips to Halfords for a brake line flaring kit, and then trouble shooting a leaking brake pipe. It got to 10pm, and we got the car off the jack and it just fell straight onto it's arse as shown here:

After working on it all day, me and my friend managed to get to the "F*ck this" attitude and took a pair of pliers to the rear arches for some DIY arch rolling! Was not my greatest idea and I've spent a long time redoing the rear arches on this 106 so they're not bent out so badly!

RallyeAX
Paid Member

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:40 am

Nowt wrong with 4 studing a 1.0i and uprating the suspension and brakes.
(The red one in my aviator is currently like it)

Just means you have much better handling compared to stock 1.0i stuff which is like a boat!

Anythings better than 1.0i discs and the drums are more than enough on the rears.

Easy way of hiding the arch mess is to fit a gt kit.

The only way of driving the 1.0i is brick on the accelerator and flat out. Lol
Jonathan, part of the:

WukaChop
Paid Member
Topic Author

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:36 pm

You got that, it's far faster than I expected though, but they are pretty light after all!

Also if anyone knows... I have a set of early 106 clocks here, will they fit this car? I don't want to be taking the thing apart if I don't have to...

RallyeAX
Paid Member

Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Yes should so just change the clock fronts
Are they elecy or mechanical speedo?
There is a write up in the wiki on how to get clocks from higher spec models to work

Oh and become a paid member! Plenty of useful info inside
Jonathan, part of the:

WukaChop
Paid Member
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:44 am

Leccy speedo, they're off an early S2 Quiksilver iirc...

I paid the day I signed up but still not a member yet! :(
And if it's anything like the 106, I need to change the flywheel sensor and the coolant sensor don't I?

RallyeAX
Paid Member

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Ah you would need elecy speedo pickup on the box instead of the cable driven one. 3 wires as it's done

Coolant sensor for temp gauge and connect the tachograph feed from the ecu which is already wired into car just not into pov spec dash looms. Same with coolant feed.

Not heard of the flywheel sensor change before. Tacho feed is from ecu.

Unfortunately access may take some time but pm Ryan or lynz to remind then
Jonathan, part of the: