Bringing the UK's Premier AX Club Together

cooperjs
Paid Member
Topic Author

Hello from down under!

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Hey guys, i am a current owner of a Citroen ax gt. It is currently 1 of 30 that ever got imported to Australia and im sure there is less now, so its pretty rare down here. It was originally fuel injected but the previous owner imported a carby and intake manifold from the uk. When first getting the car the paint was badly oxidized as it sat up in the Adelaide hills for some of its life and had fuel problems. I have now fixed those two issues and now keen to turn into a hill run car. The brakes are pretty terrible as you have to stomp on them to stop, not sure if there is a way to fix it but i think maybe some grooved disk brakes and maybe some better brake pads might help for the front?

I would love to do a 4 stud conversion but there is no where i can get the parts to do it unless i import them from Europe which sucks, but luckily i can get some wheels made up :) Similar style if not the same as the Japanese wheel the watanabe.

I hope you dont mind me asking the question but whats a good way to get some more power out? i have heard that you can get a ford cortina carby and chuck that on there and can get some more power out, would that be a good choice?

well any who here are some photos :)

As you can see in the photo bellow the bonnet is looking pretty terrible, not exactly sure what happened there but that's how i got it and looks like some one just rattle canned the shit out of it haha

Cooper

Neil602
Paid Member

Re: Hello from down under!

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:08 pm

G'day! :roll: :lol:

Mike Sims owns a GT5 that was said to have been destined for the Australian market, but somehow didn't quite make it!

Thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=55374

AllenSP
Paid Member

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Air con!!!
Welcome!

leegt
Paid Member

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Welcome to club buddy.

AlexanderB
Paid Member

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Cool. :) I never even knew you guys ever got AX'es in Oz. :)

The brakes on the type 1 GT weren't the greatest, they basically stuck an aluminium version of the base model caliper on a larger disk and that did absolutely nothing to make it stop better. Anyway, what I was going to say was, some new grippy pads and some new disks (grooved or not, its up to you), and some new brake drum shoes in the back should make it brake better. :)

Easy way to get more power is adding twin weber carbs (or quad motorcycle carbs, as an alternative..) and maybe if you can find (read: import) one, a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold.
'02 Renault Mégane Station.
'92 AX 1.1i --> 16V trackday/weekend build. (attempt #2)
RIP AX 1.5 Diesel
RIP AX 16V #1

cooperjs
Paid Member
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:52 am

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!! :)

Neil602 wrote:
G'day! :roll: :lol:

Mike Sims owns a GT5 that was said to have been destined for the Australian market, but somehow didn't quite make it!

Thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=55374

Oh wow i reckon that would have defiantly been a rarity if that came to Australia because i dont think we have any gt 5's, well not that i know of any way haha

AlexanderB wrote:
Cool. :) I never even knew you guys ever got AX'es in Oz. :)

The brakes on the type 1 GT weren't the greatest, they basically stuck an aluminium version of the base model caliper on a larger disk and that did absolutely nothing to make it stop better. Anyway, what I was going to say was, some new grippy pads and some new disks (grooved or not, its up to you), and some new brake drum shoes in the back should make it brake better. :)

Easy way to get more power is adding twin weber carbs (or quad motorcycle carbs, as an alternative..) and maybe if you can find (read: import) one, a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold.

Oh awesome, yeah hopefully i get around to doing some work on the brakes soon once im working again (works gone hell quiet so no work for me till it picks up :roll: )
Yeah i heard about twin webbers found a website that sell the manifold for em so i might go down that path, and ill try and keep and eye out for a manifold as well! :)

Loving this forum so much already, so many awesome projects and info to gain from here!!